amoree's blog

Just another Forsyth County Schools Sites site

Do you like to read?

November2

Do you like to read?                                                                                                   11/02/2012

If the answer is “no” my theory is that if you do not like to read it is because you have not found the right book yet.  I know that seems strange to some people, but do you like every movie you have ever seen? Do you like every television show that airs right now? Chances are you do not. Reading is the same way. Just because you don’t like a certain type of book (genre) or a certain author does not mean you should give up on it completely. I don’t like to eat liver, but that certainly doesn’t stop me from eating steak!

How do you find the right book? Well, go looking for it. Think about things you like and things you like to do. If you like to watch nature shows, try a book that has to do with nature. If you love sports, there are plenty of fiction and non-fiction sports books! How about romance? Well if you love a good romantic, tear-jerker love story, those are even better in writing because you get so much more in depth understanding of what the characters are thinking!  Trust me!! I can find you something to read.

One more thing: if you begin to read a book and you are not interested, vow to read 25-30 pages. If you absolutely do not like it after that, put it down. No sense wasting your time on something you do not like. (Yes, to me if you are reading for pleasure and it is not pleasurable, that is time-wasting!)

Come on! Give it a try! Need help finding a book? Let me know. I can probably help!

Great book sites:

www.goodreads.com  (Find me and befriend me on goodreads!) “Goodreads is the largest site for readers and book recommendations in the world.” “Goodreads’ mission is to help people find and share books they love. Along the way, we plan to improve the process of reading and learning throughout the world.”

Nature:

Accidents of nature Harriet McBryde. Johnson

Amazing creatures : Photo-fact collection.

Animal heart : a novel Brenda Peterson

The bear in the attic  Patrick F McManus

Beginner’s guide to nature photography Cub Kahn

Boys, bears, and a serious pair of hiking boots Abby McDonald

The cage Audrey Schulman

The cell edited by Kara Rogers

A century of Nature : twenty-one discoveries that changed science and the world edited by Laura Garwin & Tim Lincoln

Close-up photography in nature

Sports:

The 20 greatest athletes of the 20th century Brad Herzog

56 : Joe DiMaggio and the last magic number in sports Kostya Kennedy

300 pounds of attitude : the wildest stories and craziest characters the NFL has ever seen Jonathan Rand

767 sports questions your friends can’t answer editor, Willie Walker Hammond

Dirtbike daredevils Pam Withers

Joe Louis : hard times man Randy Roberts

The runner Cynthia Voigt

Those guys have all the fun : inside the world of ESPN James A Miller

Ultimate sports : short stories by outstanding writers edited by Donald R. Gallo

Romance:

Can you keep a secret? Sophie Kinsella

Confessions of a not it girl Melissa Kantor

Girl stays in the picture Melissa De la Cruz

Mythology Thomas Bulfinch

The once and future king T. H. White

The wedding Nicholas Sparks

The year of secret assignments* Jaclyn Moriarty

by posted under Media Center | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Recent Comments

Skip to toolbar